Sunday, May 13, 2007

Cruisn the Conejo Century & 6,000 ft of Climbing


Call me crazy, but I survived the 6,000 ft of climbing of the Cuisin the Conejo Century on Saturday May 12th. It was difficult and a mind challenging. After the 45 mile I was pretty much on my own. I gave Larry with Team Ventura the go ahead to go on without me. I didn't want to hold him back. I actually did 104 because I rode to the start line from my grandmother's house and back. I saw some amazing parts of Ventura county. Lake Sherwood and Hidden Valley were so beautiful. The head winds came out in the afternoon and were a little tough in Camarillo & Simi. But what a great feeling when I finsihed. I started at about 7:30am and finished about 4:45pm. Mullholland was very hilly, but beautiful and 60% of the climbing was in the beginning of the day, so that was good. Some of the descents were so steep that my shoulders and hands began to hurt from pushing back on the handle bars. During the end of the ride my left knee and quads were hurting so bad that I had to pull over and stretch them every once in a while. I didn't want to do an damage with ALC6 only a couple weeks away. But all is good. It was actually fun and a huge accomplishment too. I only had a small derailleur issue at mile 75, and was able to make the adjustment on my own :) One of the guys at work showed me how. The boy scouts who supported the ride had some yummy treats (cheese sandwiches, PB&J, strawberries, oranges, a variety of breads, cookies, etc) and held our bikes for us as we got our munchies, filled out water bottles and ran to the rest room. I even saw Thomas Beer (the CEO from IMC--the company I used to work for) as I came out of one of the porta potties on rest stop 2. We chatted a bit. I guess he was doing the 62 miler. It was a pleasant suprise and a joy to see another person who has caught the passion to cycle.

I am off my bike for 2 days then tues-fri I will be riding to work form Jaclyn's house. We have competitions at work for riding to work and my team (Blazing Saddles) is in 3rd place. We were in 5th and last place when I started there. I hope to gain enough points to help bring us up in the standings, plus I get individual points too. I hope that my legs have enough in them for the rest of the week. I have to commute 16 miles each way with a nice climb early on.
















Tune in again to see how my week went and as I finalize my things for ALC6. (Click on map of route above to enlarge)

No comments: