Thursday, April 19, 2007

Earth Day/ Ride Life- Ride Your Bike To Work Day


I never thought that I would work for a company that rewards their employees for riding to work. Wednesday was my first Ride Life- Ride Your Bike To Work Day at Giant. Since it was Earth Day, my company decided to create one. We get points for commuting, riding at lunch and riding at night. At the end of the year they hand out awards. We are also all on teams compiles of employees from different departments. I am on the team called Blazing Saddles. I don’t know anyone on the team yet, but hopefully that will soon change. Check out our company's Ride Life Web Site at www.ridelife.net. You can read about our athletes.

How was my ride, you ask? Well instead of riding the 30 miles, leaving the house at 4 am to ride into work to be there at 7am (my normal starting time), I drove to Simi Valley. I parked at my friend’s house and road 16 miles into work. When I left the house it was pitch dark, and my body was asking me “What the Hell are you doing to me, it is early in the morning on a week day, it is cold, windy and the sun hasn’t even risen yet. I fought the urge to give up and continued into work. I hadn’t ridden the route before so, wasn’t quite sure what I was in for, a little more climbing than I had expected, but it was all good. My computer didn’t work on my way into work, so I hadn’t a clue how many miles or how fast I was riding. My trip back explained a lot.

I also road with a group of co-workers at lunch; we did a 9 mile loop with some hill climbing as well. My co-workers are a lot of fun and challenge me which I need. A few of us are doing Cruisin the Conejo, a ride that our company is helping to sponsor. So far I am the only one signed up for the Century (103 miles). I hope that I can do it, plus it will help me with my training for ALC6. It is suppose to be very challenging. I’ll let you know it is May 12th.

I am off to bed, I have to rest up. Saturday, I am doing ALCs A Day On The Ride the 80 miles option. Wish me luck! I am going to need it. I am exhausted!

No comments: