Tuesday, June 13, 2006

I Did It!

Yup! I made it! I am alive and well. I arrived at the VA Center in Brentwood at approach 1:15pm on Saturday. The views through Ventura and along the Malibu Coast were breath taking. We had lunch at the Malibu Lagoon. It was so cool to be in familiar territory. We were all so excited, but also very sad that it was almost over. I got to ride in with a few of the people that I had trained with Scott, Katie and Steven. It was so incredible. We couldn't believe that it was the last day. It was very surely. We made it up all the hills and even those that we didn't expect. The crowds lines up along the streets as we got closer to the VA Center really pushed us up those last couple of hills.

Closing ceremonies was awesome. The emotions didn't hit me until Chris Cole bid farewell and said that he hoped to see us all next year. The 4 of us just started to cry. It was very sad to realize that this journey we had just done was over. I felt very empty, but yet full of stories and a new knowledge.

As I was riding I was trying to put into words my experience. It was very difficult. The best way I can describe it was being in the Rose Parade for seven days. It was an incredible high. There were school children out cheering us on. People holding up signs as we go by saying things like, "You are my hero", "Because of you I'm alive" and "You've changed my life". School children handing us letters calling us hero's and role models. It was very overwhelming feeling, but a good humbling feeling too. I felt as if I hadn't really done anything, but raise money and got a bike. Towns came out to greet us. I have formed bonds with people and had amazing conversations with people, whom I do not know if they will be alive to see them next year. This experience was definitely a life changing experience and one that I will never forget. I already miss my fellow cyclists and the staff. The most amazing staff I've ever met. Wow!! Words cannot express my compassion and how thankful I am to them all.

The candle light vigil on Friday was very moving. It was incredible to see so many people who affected by someone with Aids.


Many people have asked me if I am going to do the ride again next year. The answer is I would do it in a heartbeat if I could get the time off. I am already experiencing separation anxiety from my fellow cyclists. I miss the giggling of my tent mate Tsufit, the staff cheering us on as we ride in each day, the voice and a hug from my Cycle Buddy- Kerry each night, Sheri (my own personal space heater)-- That girl can radiate!, Andy's (tent neighbor) sweet voice greeting us good morning, Scott's humor--he could make even the worst situation funny, Steven's smile and oh, my god, that boy smelled so good all the time, Katie's smile and the challenge to keep up with her on the route (that girl is like lightening). Kim singing to us and telling us riddles up the hills. Heather and her finding her inner gerbil. I must admit though, I have enjoyed my nice long showers and flushing toilets.

I want to thank everyone for your support both during my training an during the ride. I thought of many of you while riding.Thank you also, for following my little journey. It has been fun and I hope that you enjoyed coming along for the ride. I could not have done it with out you. Thank you again.

I hope to have some pictures for you soon so please check back in a couple days.....

No comments: