Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Day 7 and more


What can I say…after sitting out for 2 ½ days, trying to be smart and an example to others on how to take care of yourself when injured (so not to further injure yourself further), I decided to ride the last day. Thank you to James Ray and Sarah Sypniewski my ALC Cycle Buds for letting me vent, consultations and comforting me with this disappointment.

Saturday, Day 7, my knee was still tender, but at least I could bend it by this point in the trip. I was so excited and nervous about getting back on a bike. I started out slow and then realized that I needed to go my normal speed. I took off. It felt so good; going along a course that I was very familiar with. I was both excited and sad that the event was near the end. The weather was doing me in. I am not a fan of cold, wet & windy. Yet all the months of preparation and the event sort of flew by. I made it in very early to the VA 11:50am to be exact. I stopped at every stop and even sat down to chat with Brian from SF. Ironically I spent the day riding solo and not with my usual group. It was rather fitting. As I rode I was able to process the week.

I got to think about why I did the ride this year. The ride isn’t about me and how many miles I do (even though I felt like I was letting a lot of people down, especially my new coworkers). Yes, it is for the cause (AIDS/ HIV), but I think my work put’s it best with it’s motto. Ride Life, Ride Giant. I’m out there with everyone else Riding Life... I wasn’t there this year only to ride, but to support others experiencing life’s challenges and triumphs that the ride creating for them. ALC is an experience of a lifetime, we all grow and change on the ride it is inevitable and a gift. I was challenged to take my eyes of myself and focus on others who needed my support. Whether it was me cheering up those riders who are struggling to get up those hills, telling stories and singing songs to distract other riders of the many more miles still to come or was there to cheer on that newbie who had never ridden that many miles before and finished their first day, to help instruct new riders of what was to come and see them cross that finish line. To help that cyclist stranded on the side of the road with a flat tire, or to council a fellow cyclist with bad news from home, struggling with a situation or personal issue. A couple people amazed me. Heidi had gotten 8 flat tires (sometime 2 a day), lost a screw from her cleat and couldn’t get her shoe off the peddle, yet she continued to have a smile and continued to conquer each day as if nothing had ever happened. She was a real inspiration.

Since I finished early on Saturday, I got to see most people cross the finish line, for some it was their first time, some that I had lead on training rides and spent time with on the ride, some I had helped up that hill or cheered them on because they were riding a Giant bicycle. It was very humbling to be able to sit there and watch the riders cross the line of victory, not only for the cause, but for themselves. Their elated faces as they had accomplished a life long goal that they didn’t think imaginable, living the memory of ones they had lost. I got to witness firsthand snapshots of their life while they road with them and got to see before my very own eyes life transform in just a week. Who could ask for more…and yes even though I said that this would be my last year with ALC, I came to the conclusion that I need to come back. I still haven’t ridden every mile. I don’t know when but I will do it again.

For now, my knee needs to heal. I went to the doctor and I did tear a tendon (dinged it) and stressed some ligaments. My doctor says 4-6 months for it to fully heal, but by my birthday (beginning of July) I can start riding again, while cross training, but stay on relatively flat ground. I will be aiming to do a ride in August called the “Cool Breeze” Ventura to Santa Barbara. The doctor said I probably would be ready if I take the hills very slow and take very good care of myself. He gave me some medicine to help with the pain and inflammation. He also complimented me for stopping when I did. He noted that if I had continued on I definitely would have done far more damage resulting in the need possibly for surgery. I guess with my getting older I am actually getting smarter. I hope that I don’t loose my new found wisdom.

I also went back over some of my mom’s entries and made a few additions that I forgot to tell her on the phone. So, please re-read when you get a chance. She did an amazing job and everyone is so very impressed by her writing skills and blogging ability. Thank you Mom and thank you for the support via the phone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Deanne-
So glad you're relatively okay and that you made it all the way on Day 7. I just want to thank you for such a fun time, and for all your support on the ride. I still giggle about singing sitcom songs on day 2, and singing up Evil Twins with Beth. I'm glad to see that you will be out there next year, and we can celebrate riding every mile together. Hope to see you on training rides this year!

Thanks again. You're great!
Jenifer