Tuesday, March 21, 2006

How Did I Get Involved With ALC5?


Last Fall, my friend Lisa, whom I had just met, and I were talking about what I had been up to. I told her that I had just climbed Mt Whitney and I began to tell her about my trip. She told me that she had a trip that was similar to my Whitney trip and it was the AIDS Ride. She told me about the ride through California and how beautiful and spectacular the views were. Being a native Californian I thought how cool it would be for me to be able to say I rode my bike through a huge chunk of my state. I had already decided at that moment that it was something that I had to do, but needed more information.

I attended one of the ALC5 orientation meetings and met Pam an ACL staff member who had done the ride in the past and was so passionate about the cause. I really didn’t know that much about AIDS/ HIV. I had never met anyone that I knew of who had the disease. I realized right away that the people at ALC5 seemed really genuine. I cannot forget at the ALC5 orientation meeting while watching a video of a past ride seeing tears in Pam’s eyes as we all watched the video together. I knew that this was something I had to do and I signed up that day.

As the orientation continued, I was quickly educated on the severity of the AIDS/HIV. Up to this point I had only learned about it in health class. There was a gentleman who was attending the orientation and hearing his story made my heart melt. Suddenly I was no longer riding to see the beauty of California but for a cause.

As time went buy and I began my fundraising venture I found that my ride changed yet again. I found that one of my acquaintances that I had known for a few years is living with HIV. Suddenly I had a face to match what I am riding.

No comments: